Saint John’s Abbey Arboretum is more than 2,500 acres of lakes, prairie, oak savanna and forest owned by Saint John’s Abbey and surrounding Saint John’s University.
Since its founding in 1856, Saint John’s Abbey has been guided by the Benedictine principles of stability, hospitality and stewardship. In 1933, the abbey lands were designated as a state wildlife refuge. In 1997, the longstanding principle of stewardship led the monks to designate the abbey lands as a natural arboretum with a focus on conservation, education, research and spiritual renewal.
Saint John’s Outdoor University coordinates environmental and outdoor education through classes, events, and initiatives with the Abbey Arboretum.