If you are looking to get in a quick mile, scout out a new training trail, or perhaps pick up running for the first time, we can guarantee you one thing, the scenery in Greater St. Cloud will keep you wanting to go that extra mile.
Let’s Start Slow, enjoy this 1/2 mile loop around Lake George to get your blood flowing and your music pumping. Bring your kids along to play on the nearby splashpad, playground, or run along side you. Take as many trips around the lake as you wish on this paved trail while taking in the downtown St. Cloud skyline.
.5 MILE around Lake George/Eastman Park: 1101 7th ST S, St. Cloud, MN 56301
I’m warmed up, let’s hit the road and try a 10K. Park at River Bluffs Regional Park, then run north to the Beaver Island Trail Trailhead and make your way to the intersection of 3rd Ave S and 16th Street before returning the same path back to your car. Looking to go further than this 6.28 mile run? Continue up the Beaver Island Trail along the Mississippi River by the St. Cloud State Campus and even into downtown behind the River’s Edge Convention Center on the St. Cloud Riverwalk. The whole trail to the end of the St. Cloud Riverwalk and looped back to your car at River Bluffs Regional Park would be just over 10 miles. Beaver Island Trail offers great views of the Mississippi River and is a flat trail for easy running. Bathrooms are available at the parking lot of River Bluffs Regional Park.
6.28 MILES (roughly a 10K) starting at River Bluffs Parking: 3828 38th St S, St Cloud, MN 56301
I am a pro, lets go! Looking for a trail to train for your next half marathon, full marathon, or a place you can lose yourself in your thoughts for a few hours? Lake Wobegon Trail is a 65 mile (one way) asphalt trail that allows you to do just that. From Waite Park’s Rivers Edge Park you can access the trail in the northwestern portion of the park, from there you can go to St. Joseph’s trailhead and return back to Waite Park for a total of 8.74 miles. Again, if you are feeling like going further, keep pacing down the trail for a seemingly endless amount of miles. Both Rivers Edge Park and the St. Joseph’s trailhead have restrooms and parking for your use.
8.74 MILES starting at Rivers Edge Park: 1300 Great Oak Drive, Waite Park, MN 56387
Well, that escalated quickly. Let’s tone it back from 65 miles to a few more under 5. Local parks with dirt trails and beautiful views are not hard to come by, here are 5 with routes under 5 miles.
- Quarry Park & Nature Preserve: Do one trail or do them all, this park provides picnic areas, swimming quarries, trout fishing, granite quarries, restrooms, and so much more to accompany your run. The outer loop of this park is a 2.17 mile hard-packed aggregate and natural surface trail. This park does require a $5 daily pass or $20 annual pass that can be purchased on site. Note, due to the swimming quarries this park does see high volume in the summer months. Summer map 1802 Co Rd 137, Waite Park, MN 56387
- Bob Cross Nature Preserve: Birds chirping, loons swimming, and winding paths are what make Bob Cross Nature Preserve such a fun run. Parking can be found at the Sauk Rapids Middle School and the trailhead is on the west side of the school at the end of 8th Ave S. Both portions of this trail when combined equal just under 1.5 miles. No restrooms on site. MAP 8th Ave S. Sauk Rapids, MN 56379
- George Friedrich Park: This trail offers views of Gottfried Hilder’s granite quarry and is a short trail with a lot of unique finds. Please note, this is trail is mostly natural surface and no bathrooms are on site. Parking is at the end of University Drive SE and the intersection of 19th Ave SE St. Cloud, MN 56304
- Warner Lake County Park: Located around a non motorized watercraft lake, this serene park has many trails at various lengths. The winter ski map has the distances of the trails and they follow the same routes for summer use. Restrooms, picnic area, Playground, Swimming beach, and prairie restoration are all on site. MAP 1485 County Road 143 Clearwater, MN 55320
- Rockville County Park/Eagle Park: Hit the 1.2 mile loop at Rockville’s Eagle Park or choose a longer route at Rockville County Park located nearby. The park amenities include restrooms, observation deck, Eagle nest viewing, and more. MAP 11503 Glacier Road Rockville, MN 56301
Are these trails looking appealing but you need some new gear? Stop into Endurunce Shop and get equipped or treat yourself to a new pair of running shoes!
Although these trails are mostly protected, please follow all traffic laws and watch for any oncoming traffic, and always let someone know where you’re planning to run. Happy Trails!